Paying is as simple as tap and go®.
CONTACTLESS CREDIT & DEBIT CARDS
Your life moves quickly, so you need a card that keeps up with you. And with built-in security features, you can pay with even greater confidence. Apply today for a new contactless debit or credit card.
1. Look for contactless payment symbol*
3. Your transaction is completed within seconds
- What are contactless cards? How do I make purchases with them?
Contactless credit and debit cards are EMV chip cards that are equipped with near-field communication (NFC) technology. Instead of swiping the card’s magnetic stripe or inserting its chip into a card reader at a merchant’s payment terminal, contactless cards only need to be positioned on or above the terminal’s contactless card reader. Cards should be held within 1-2 inches of the card reader for at least two seconds. (Positioning and timing may vary by payment terminal.)
- How do I know if a merchant accepts contactless payments?
Look for the contactless symbol at checkouts.
(It looks like a Wi-Fi symbol turned to its side: )
Place your card on or above the contactless reader to pay quickly and securely.
- Are the contactless payments safe?
Yes. Although the card’s EMV chip is not inserted into the card reader, the chip still generates a dynamic, unique code each time the card is used to make a payment. That special code reduces the risk that your card information can be used for fraudulent purposes. Consequently, contactless card payments are just as secure as regular EMV chip card payments.
- Can contactless cards still be inserted or swiped in card readers?
Yes. Contactless cards still have EMV chips and magnetic stripes embedded in them, and can be used at payment terminals that are not equipped with contactless card readers.
- Can contactless cards still be used for online or phone purchases?
Yes. Contactless cards still have 16-digit card numbers, expiration dates, and security codes, just as non-contactless cards do.
- Are contactless cards similar to mobile wallets (e.g. Apple Pay®, Samsung Pay®, Google Pay®)?
Contactless card payments use the same NFC technology as mobile wallets – and just like mobile wallet payments, contactless card payments provide all of the same features and benefits as regular credit or debit card payments. Although the card’s EMV chip is not inserted into the card reader, the chip still generates a dynamic, unique code each time the card is used to make a payment. That special code reduces the risk that your card information can be used for fraudulent purposes. Consequently, contactless card payments are just as secure as regular EMV chip card payments.
- Can I use contactless cards outside of the U.S.?
Yes. Contactless cards can be used at merchants around the world that accept contactless payments.
- Will I still get fraud alerts if I pay with a contactless card?
Yes. Purchases made with contactless cards will be monitored with the same vigilance as non-contactless EMV chip cards.
- When will I be able to get a contactless credit or debit card from First Hawaiian Bank?
We are introducing contactless cards on select products starting in June 2020. By 2021, all new and replacement cards issued by First Hawaiian Bank will have contactless capabilities.
- Who should I contact if I have questions about my credit or debit card?
Please call the number on the back of your card with any questions about your credit or debit card account.