Standard Overdraft Practices
What are the standard overdraft practices that come with my account?
We do authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions:
- Checks and other transactions made using your checking account number
- Automatic bill payments
We will not authorize and pay overdrafts for the following types of transactions unless you sign up for DebitPlus, our overdraft feature for everyday debit card and ATM transactions:
- Everyday debit card transactions
- ATM transactions
For more information about our DebitPlus service, click here.
Important: We pay overdrafts at our discretion, which means we do not guarantee that we will always authorize and pay any type of transaction. For example, we typically do not pay overdrafts if your account is not in good standing, or you are not making regular deposits, or you have too many overdrafts. If we do not authorize and pay an overdraft, your transaction will be declined for point-of-sale transactions or returned unpaid for transactions posting to your account. If we do authorize and pay an overdraft, overdraft fees will apply and you must repay the overdraft promptly along with any applicable fees.
What fees will I be charged if First Hawaiian Bank pays my overdraft?
These are the fees that apply to our standard overdraft practices:
- DebitPlus: We will charge a fee of $30.00 each time we pay an overdraft on an everyday debit or ATM transaction.
- Check, automatic bill payment or other transaction: We will charge $30.00 each time we pay an overdraft or an item is returned for non-sufficient funds.
- Continuing Overdraft Notification: If the end of day account balance is overdrawn for seven calendar days, we will mail you a notification of this condition and charge you a one time fee of $10.00.
- Daily Fee Limit: An account will not be charged more than five overdraft or returned item fees on any one day even if the number of overdraft fee or non-sufficient funds items exceeds five on that day. This limit does not apply to the $10.00 Continuing Overdraft Notification fee.
- Small Overdraft Waiver: Any transactions that create an end of day available balance that is overdrawn by $5.00 or less will not be assessed an overdraft fee or non-sufficient funds fee.