- Q: What is “External Transfers”?
“External Transfers” is a feature of the FHB Online® banking service that allows you to transfer money to and from accounts at other financial institutions.
- Q: How much do External Transfers cost?
Transfers to your FHB account from other financial institutions are free. Transfers from your FHB account to other financial institutions are only $1.00 per transfer.
- Q: How do I sign up for External Transfers?
External Transfers are only available to customers through registered for the FHB Online service and can be found under the “Transfers” section are an option within under the “Transfers” section. If you are not currently enrolled for FHB Online, visit www.fhb.com and click on the “Enroll” button under “Online Banking” in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. If you are already enrolled for FHB Online, sign onto FHB Online, go to the Account Details page Transfers section, thenand click select on the “External Transfers (Personal Only)” link on the right side of the page. When you sign up for this new feature, we will provide you with details about how it works (including important information about applicable fees and dollar limits).
- Q: What accounts can I transfer funds between?
You can transfer funds between your First Hawaiian Bank personal checking or money market account and your personal checking, savings, money market checking, or money market savings account at another bank. You can also transfer funds from your deposit account at another financial institution to your First Hawaiian Bank mortgage loan, credit card, installment loan, or line of credit.
- Q: Can I transfer funds internationally?
No, you can only transfer funds to accounts within the U.S.
- Q: What is the maximum External Transfer amount I can make between accounts?
The maximum daily amount allowed for external transfers is either the current available balance in the source account (plus any available credit in an associated Yes-CheckSM line of credit) or $5,000, whichever is less. This includes any single transfer or the total amount outstanding or "in process". For additional information, see below:
Inbound External Transfers Maximum Amount Daily $5,000.00 Monthly $10,000.00 Outbound External Transfer Maximum Amount Daily $5,000.00 Monthly $10,000.00
- Q: Can I set up recurring or future-dated External Transfers?
Yes, External Transfers may be scheduled up to 365 days in advance of the date the transfer is to be made (called a "Single External Transfer"). Automatic Recurring External Transfers may also be scheduled for substantially at regular intervals (e.g., weekly, monthly, annually) in the same amount between the same two accounts (called a "Recurring External Transfer").
- Q: How far in advance can I schedule an External Transfer?
You can schedule an External Transfer can be scheduled up to one year in advance.
- Q: When are External Transfers processed?
External Transfers will be processed on the date you specify, up to a year in advance, and the funds should bemade available in your account in approximately 3 Business Days. External Transfers scheduled to process on a weekend or holiday will be processed the previous Business Day.
- Q: What is the cut-off time to submit an External Transfer?
The cut-off time for submitting External Transfers is 7:00 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time each Business Day. External Transfers submitted after 7:00 p.m. Hawaii Standard Time or on weekends or holidays will be processed the next Business Day. Any updates to an existing transfer must be made before the cut-off time on the scheduled transfer date. A Business Day is every calendar day except for Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays.
- Q: When does the External Transfer get debited from my account?
The External Transfer debit request is initiated on the "send date" but will not post against your account for one to two Business Days.
- Q: What happens if I set up an External Transfer but do not have sufficient funds in my account on the "send date?"
If, on the "send date,” the balance in your account is insufficient to make an External Transfer you authorized, we will delay the transfer and try again on the next Business Day. If there is still an insufficient balance to make the transfer, we may either refuse to pay the item, or we may make the transfer and overdraw your checking account. In either event, you will be responsible for any non-sufficient funds ("NSF") or overdraft charges we may impose.
- Q: How many external accounts can I add?
You may add up to a total of 10 external accounts. Please note, you will be required to go through an authentication process for each of those accounts that you own.
- Q: What are trial deposits? How do I verify them?
Trial deposits is one method used to verify ownership of the account. To do that, we will make small deposits into the account and ask you to confirm the deposit details back to us. To verify your trial deposits, follow these steps:
- STEP 1: Receive Trial Deposits
- Within three business days, we will make up to two small deposits into your source account.
- STEP 2: Check Deposit Amounts
- Log into your source account to review the deposit amounts made. Deposits should appear as TRANSFER and/or ACCTVRFY. Write down the amounts for reference.
- STEP 3: Confirm Deposit Amounts
- You will receive an email notification asking you to return to the service to confirm the deposit amounts. Log onto FHB Online, go to the Transfers page and click on the External Account Transfers link on the right side. Click on the “verify” link next to your source account and enter the deposit amounts. If the amounts entered by you match the amounts of the deposits we made, the account will be enabled immediately for External Transfers.
- Q: How do I disable External Transfers?
You may disable External Transfers by logging into FHB Online, clicking on the "External Transfers (Personal Only)" link, and then clicking on the 'Edit Your Profile' link. Please note that you must cancel any pending transactions prior to disabling External Transfers.