Personal Banking FAQs
You PIN number will be automatically mailed to your address on file when you receive a new credit or debit card.
If you know your current PIN and would like to change it, please call (808) 844-4321 or (800) 545-6300 from a touch tone phone, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Press #1 and you will be able to select your new PIN number.
If you do not know your PIN number and need to reset it, please visit the nearest branch for assistance. If you do not live near a branch, you can also mail a signed written request to have a new PIN mailed to your address on file. PIN requests can be mailed to:
P.O. BOX 1959
Honolulu, HI 96805
There are many ways, including:
- FHB Online® - transfer funds between First Hawaiian Bank accounts, to accounts at other financial institutions or to accounts belonging to other people. In addition, if you sign up for the optional Bill Payment feature, you can pay all of your bills online in one place.
Note: Some features have additional fees. See terms & conditions for details.
- Cash withdrawals from First Hawaiian Bank ATMs and other ATMs
- Transfers between linked accounts at First Hawaiian Bank ATMs
- Make purchases at participating merchants using your debit card
- Personal checks
- Transactions with a branch teller
Additional transaction fees may apply. Refer to the disclosures you received at account opening or inquire with your branch.
It costs nothing to join and there are no membership fees. Once enrolled, we will automatically renew your membership each year in the highest level you qualify for at the time of renewal.
Yes, you must maintain a combined deposit balance in any one or more of the First Hawaiian Bank Personal Accounts as follows:
- Platinum Members - $50,000 or more
- Gold Members - $25,000 or more
- Plus Members - No minimum balance required
- Any Checking Account
- Any Savings Account
- Any Bank Bill, Premium Bank Bill, or other Certificate of Deposit (CD)
- Any IRA Account
Yes, you may visit any of our conveniently located branches or send a written request to upgrade to a higher level. If your combined deposit balances qualify, we can assist you with an upgrade.
PrimeTime and Primera are our membership programs designed exclusively for our First Hawaiian Bank customers in Hawaii (PrimeTime) and Guam & CNMI (Primera) who are age 50 or better. As a member, you can choose between three exceptional plans that offer you a wide variety of value-packed banking services, exclusive invitations to special events, plus money-saving discounts on restaurants, entertainment and more!
To avoid holds, you can use:
- Direct deposit: You can avoid having a hold placed on your check by using direct deposit instead. If you have recurring income like a paycheck, pension payment or Social Security check, arrange to receive it by direct deposit.
- Cash deposits made at a teller window are usually made available immediately.
A hold means that although we've received your check for deposit, you won't be able to use the funds until the hold period has expired. Depending on the type of check that you deposit, funds may not be available until the third business day after the day of your deposit. However, the first $225 of your check deposits will be available on the first business day after the date of your deposit. If the deposited item is returned unpaid before the hold expires, those funds will not be made available to you. If the deposited item is returned after the hold expired, we charge your account for the amount of the item. Holds are placed to help protect both you and us from losses that could occur when a deposited item is returned unpaid. Situations that typically cause a check to be held include:
- There is reason to believe the funds may be uncollectible
- The source of the check (e.g., foreign checks)
- The account is a new account (new account rules apply for the first 30 days the account is open)
- The account has repeated overdrafts in the last 6 months
- You deposit checks totaling more than $5,525 on any one day
- Fraud is suspected
- The check was previously deposited, then returned unpaid
- The check was not properly endorsed
- Emergency situations, including computer or communication failureIncorrect routing or account number information on a deposit slip
The speed with which we make your deposited funds available depends on a number of factors, including how, when, and where you made your deposit. For example:
- Direct Deposit: First Hawaiian Bank credits your account on the day the deposit is scheduled to occur. In most cases, a direct deposit is the fastest and easiest way to get funds into your account. Also, direct deposits are free.
- Wire Transfer: First Hawaiian Bank credits your account the day we receive it. Wire transfers typically have to be set up for each transfer. In most cases, there is a fee for sending or receiving a wire transfer, but it can be worth the expense since you know the money will be there when you need it.
- Cash with a Teller: Funds are available immediately.
- Checks: A hold may be placed on your deposit, depending on the type of check. If you're not sure, ask your teller when the funds you deposited will be available.
- Cash, check, and coin deposits are accepted at all First Hawaiian Bank branches. Please see a teller to conduct your deposit.
- Cash and check deposits are accepted at most First Hawaiian Bank ATM’s.
- Wire transfers are accepted into personal and business accounts; however incoming wire fees may apply.
- Electronic Funds Transfers (EFT’s) such as direct deposits from employers or other businesses are accepted into personal and business accounts at no charge from First Hawaiian Bank.
- Check deposits are accepted via mail to your branch of account. Please allow additional time for processing delays due to mail time.
The sample check graphic below shows where the ABA routing number can be found on your checks. The routing number is the first nine digits on the bottom left hand side of the check.
An Item Enclosure fee is charged when you receive a copy of your canceled checks with your statement. You may request to be added onto CheckStorage to avoid the Item Enclosure fee by contacting our customer service line at 1-888-844-4444.
A Check Image Service fee is charged for returning images of your canceled checks with your monthly statement. You can receive an online version of your statement which includes images of your canceled checks at no cost. To change the way you receive your statements, log in to your FHB Online account and change your delivery preferences from the statement page.
Sometimes, you may find it difficult to visit a branch when one is open. You may send written requests to your branch of account for assistance with closing accounts, requesting account changes, or asking questions. For all account-related requests, your original signature and full account number are required. A phone number where we may contact you is highly recommended as we often need to call customers for further clarification or to request additional information after we receive your letter.
You can request a stop payment on a personal check by calling our toll free number, 1-888-844-4444 or the number for First Hawaiian Bank in your local telephone directory.
You will need to provide the following information:
- Check number
- Date the check written
- Exact amount
Please note, if the amount and the check number are not exact, the check may be paid. A stop payment cannot be placed on an item that has already been presented. A stop payment fee will be assessed on your account for the request.
A scheduled transfer is a way of automatically moving money from your checking account to another checking or savings account each pay period.
To set up your Automatic Transfers, simply sign in to FHB Online service and click the "Transfer Funds" tab at the top of the page. Or, you can visit your nearest branch, where an associate will be happy to assist you.
Yes, if the available balances in your checking account and Yes-Check are not enough to cover an item, you may be still be charged an Overdraft Fee or Non-sufficient Funds Fee (OD or NSF).
In the event that your checking account doesn't have enough money to cover a withdrawal or purchase, Yes-Check automatically transfers money into your checking account in increments of $100.00.
Yes-Check links your First Hawaiian Bank checking account to a line of credit – and automatically transfers available funds when your checking account doesn't have enough money to cover your transactions. The service gives you the flexibility to make purchases, prevent returned checks and declined transactions when you don't have enough money in your checking account at the time of the transaction.
Direct deposit automatically places your paycheck, pension, Social Security, or other regular monthly income into your checking, savings, or Money Market account. It's convenient, secure, and saves trips to your branch.
If you suspect fraudulent transactions on your account please call us immediately at (866) 686-4228 to report the transactions and we will assist you with replacing your card.
Yes, if you are planning on traveling with your credit card please contact us at 1-800-342-2778. This will help to ensure that you have uninterrupted use of your credit card while you are traveling.
First Hawaiian Bank constantly strives to ensure the security of your account. If your card is ever lost or stolen, please contact us immediately through our 24 hour customer service line at (808) 847-4444 on Oahu, or toll free at 1 (800) 342-2778. This will prevent further transactions from being authorized on your card.
Your credit card expires on the last day of the month indicated on your credit card. Normally, replacement credit cards are sent during the month prior to the expiration date of your card. If your current card has expired and you did not receive your replacement, please contact us immediately by calling the number on the back of your card or on your statement. If you don’t have the numbers handy, our 24 hour customer service line is 1-800-342-2778. We will assist you in ensuring the safety of your account and help you order a replacement card.
We have a phone payment service called “Quick Remit” that can be reached by dialing the number on the back of your card. You will need to enter your card number and P.I.N. to complete the transaction.
Your Priority Miles will remain active as long as you continue to use your Priority Destinations MasterCard for purchases or redeem your Priority Miles. Your Priority Miles will expire 2 years from your last purchase or your last redemption, whichever was most recent.
(for World MasterCard cardholders): For more information on any of the travel, insurance, and retail protection services, see the Guide To Benefits that came with your Priority Destinations World MasterCard, or call 1-888-457-8537.
(for World Elite MasterCard cardholders): For more information on any of the travel, insurance, and retail protection services, see the Guide To Benefits that came with your Priority Destinations World Elite MasterCard, or call the VIP Desk at: 1-888-210-6123.
Yes, you may transfer your CashPoints to a friend's or family member's account by using the Transfer CashPoints page. The transferred CashPoints are set to the expiration date of the account receiving the CashPoints. To transfer your CashPoints, please log on to the website at www.fhbrewards.com, navigate to the Transfer CashPoints link on left navigation menu, and enter the recipient’s Priority Rewards card account number and last name.
The Priority Rewards[[SM]] Credit Card earns you one (1) CashPoint[[SM]] for every one ($1) dollar of net purchases. Cash advances and balance transfers do not qualify to earn CashPoints. Please refer to the Priority Rewards Program FAQs for more information on the Priority Rewards Program.
No, our Priority Rewards program is unique to First Hawaiian Bank and you cannot combine them with airline frequent flyer miles or other loyalty programs to make redemptions or upgrade tickets.
Priority Rewards MasterCard accounts have the option of redeeming for a check or statement credit. Visa credit cardholders may redeem for a check only. Checks are made out to the primary and secondary (if applicable) cardholder on the account.
YES! To receive airline frequent flyer miles, you should provide your airline frequent flyer number to the agent when you redeem your CashPoints. You must work directly with the airline in question if you forget to provide your frequent flyer number or in cases of any discrepancies.
You may redeem the appropriate level of CashPoints for any destination or class of service. Once a ticket is purchased by the Redemption Center, any upgrades or changes must be made between you and the airline which issued the ticket.
Your CashPoints will expire 24 months from your last credit card purchase or your last redemption, whichever is most recent. Transferred (gifted) CashPoints are set to the expiration date of the receiving account and do not count as redemption activity for the originating or receiving account.
Logging on to www.fhbrewards.com is fast and easy:
If you are a New User:
- Go to http://www.fhbrewards.com
- Click on the "New User" link and register your card information
- See your CashPoints and view available rewards.
If you are a Returning User:
- Go to http://www.fhbrewards.com
- Enter chosen User NameEnter chosen Password
- If you don't know your information, click on "Forgot?" and a temporary username or password will be emailed to you.
You'll receive CashPoints for qualifying purchases. Once you accumulate enough CashPoints, you can redeem them for your choice of rewards like gift cards, airline travel, hotel accommodations, cruises, even cash! Use your card for everyday purchases and watch your CashPoints add up!
The Cash Rewards Credit Card earns 3% cash back on gas purchases, 2% cash back on grocery purchases, and 1% cash back on all other net purchases. You will automatically receive your cash reward every month as a credit to your Cash Rewards credit card account.
Have more questions?
Or call customer service at (808) 844-4444.